Thursday, May 24, 2007

I Caught A Black Gar Today!!!


Selling Cars and Catching Gars!
Ask For Donnie Hinkle "West Point Lake Gar Grabber"

My wife Debbie was able to squeeze out a day off with me today to Gar Fish on West Point Lake. I've been on vacation all week long and Debbie had to work but her boss allowed her this one day with me. I'm glad too because Sunday was the day when I, as Debbie says, stole her Gar from her so I had a lot of making up to do!

It was not the greatest of day’s weather wise because the wind was very tough. There was an east wind all day long. If you know anything about fishing in Georgia, a cool east wind can really screw up a day of fishing. The wind was gusting to as high as 25mph and sustained wind of at least 15mph and I fought the trolling motor as my batteries were dying a quicker than normal death. Casting into the wind was a real problem because we were using 1/8 to 1/4 ounce bullet weights with our rope lures and I must have backlashed at least forty times!

Debbie was doing very well as she caught all of the biggest Gar while all I could land were small ones. I was doing very well at making up from Sunday's fishing trip.

We spent most of the day moving from place to place trying to find a comfortable spot out of the wind where the Gar were biting but after switching places four different times we came back to our original fishing hole, the same place where I supposedly stole Debbie's Gar.

As I came around the point I told Debbie, "I've got one!" The as the Gar swirled I noticed that it was a very dark colored Gar And I said, "Debbie, this Gar looks almost black." As I finally fought it up to the water surface I yelled, "Debbie, It is a solid black Gar! Get my gloves quick!" I was afraid it would get away but I was able to drag it close and I reached out and snagged it out of the water! Man was this thing beautiful! I've fished for Longnose Gar for four years now and though I saw a black Gar two years ago, I know I saw one earlier this year in a different spot a couple of miles up river, and now finally caught a Black Longnose Gar! It was silver under it's throat, a little more spotty silver just below it's throat, but the hole back half of the Gar was solid black like a piece of shinny coal. Something else I though was strange is that the pigmentation from the Gar actually came off on my gloves like it was painted with black shoe polish or something. This was very strange indeed.

Debbie said that I'm the luckiest Gar fisherman she's ever known. Not that she knows very many. There's only about five of us in our circle of Gar Fishermen and I'm the only one who driven to catch that Georgia state record. I have had a very good season so far though, that's for sure, but I can't believe I actually caught a black Gar today. I probably never will again.

Here's a picture of Debbie's big gar too. I'm very lucky to be married to a woman who loves to gar fish too!


































No comments: