Tuesday, May 01, 2007

New 2007 Record Longnose Gar. 19lbs-7ozs And 58" Long!!


Selling Cars and Catching Gars!
Ask For Donnie Hinkle "West Point Lake Gar Grabber"

I just got home from Longnose Gar Fishing with my buddy from Mike Patton Auto Family, Chris Smith. It started out a little slow with a lot of fish surfacing but not that many taking the rope. I did manage a couple of nice Gar though. One was 48" and 15lbs-6oz and another one little smaller. Mean while Chris was struggling with getting a good bite although he did hang a very nice one but it managed to free itself from the lure after a brief encounter of hope that Chris would land his first Longnose.

We left that area and drove to a spot I thought for sure Chris would have a great change of landing his first Gar but to no avail. I caught one more pretty nice Gar about the same size as the 15lb er I landed earlier.

We then left that spot and drove to "Old Faithful", the spot where I caught my biggest Gar to date. The wind had gotten up pretty good by then and I didn't feel like we would have any luck, but I was wrong. I guess the wind was blowing bait fish against the island pennisula and was able to land my biggest Longnose Gar of the season, 19lbs-7oz and 58" long! I was thrilled to make such a nice catch but also feeling pretty bad for Chris who still hadn't land a single Gar all day.

After attaching another rope to my line I was able get us back into position when finally Chris yells, "I've got one"! This one was snagged nicely by the rope and the fight was on! Chris's first Gar was a very impressive 48-49", 15lbs or so Longnose Gar. I'm guessing because I was so excited for him that I forgot to weigh and measure it, but I've got the pictures! Over all it was a very successful fishing trip and I'm so very glad I was able to have a great day Gar Fishing and fellowship with my friend Chris.


































No comments: