Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Brand New Honey Hole!!!


Selling Cars and Catching Gars!
Ask For Donnie Hinkle "West Point Lake Gar Grabber"

I got on West Point Lake early today. My plans were to do a little fly fishing for what ever would bite but mainly to sharpen my fly fishing skills since I'm sort of a rookie. I went down river where I use to do some bass fishing with buzz baits. I'm not much into bass fishing anymore but since this use to be a good bass top water spot for me I though the fly bite would be equally as good.

As I was casting about I started noticing that old familiar top water activity that only the great Longnose Gar could make so I went for the bait caster that already had a rope lure attached to it and started making a few cast. Then suddenly I realized, once the sun started coming through the clouds that I was on a shallow flat that was packed full of Longnose Gar! I mean big ones too!!!

It didn't take long to realize that it was cherry picking time! Gar were everywhere and the water was still enough to begin looking for that big one. The first Longnose I caught was 15lbs-2ozs and 50 inches long, so started looking for a bigger one. The next Gar I caught was 17lbs-10ozs and 51 inches, so I began looking for a bigger one. Then I caught one that went 18lbs-6ozs and measured 51 inches long. No doubt that I was in Longnose Gar Heaven!!! I said to myself, if I can catch this many big Gar in one spot I just may be able to find that Georgia state record Longnose Gar I've been fishing four years for. So now I was began being very pick. Besides, I was by myself and I was having to set my camera on timer and run to the other end of the boat for the picture and I'll tell you, I was starting to get tired! As I was trolling along around the bend I came across a large group of Gar all in one spot and underneath then there was a shadow that looked like a big one so I made a cast. That was when I landed the biggest Gar of the day that weighed 19lbs-4ozs and measured 55 inches long.

I'm going to be seeing big Gar in my sleep tonight after today! I'm tired. I thing I'll have some supper a drop dead on the sofa!

Later on in the day I met Jonathan Smith, a fellow sales manager at Mike Patton Auto Family at the landing. By then the Gar Fishing had sort of settled down a bit buy Jonathan was able to land this "Broke Back Mountain" version of a Gar! Leave it to Jonathan to catch this freak of a Gar for his first!























No comments: