Sunday, May 20, 2007

Monster Gar Or Doghouse Gar!!!


Selling Cars and Catching Gars!
Ask For Donnie Hinkle "West Point Lake Gar Grabber"

I began my week of vacation by taking my wife Debbie Longnose Gar Fishing after church today and man what an exciting day it was!

When I got to my Main Honey Hole Of The Year, the water was fairly calm and clear and there were Gar everywhere of every shape and size! There were short skinny Gar, long skinny Gar, Short fat Gar, and my all time favorite, favorite long Fat Longnose Gar mixed in here and there!

After getting our feet wet with a few nice Longnose, the hunt was on for the trophy of the day. As we trolled along they would appear in front of the boat and beside the boat, they were all over the place! Man was my blood boiling as I searched for that big boy of the day!

Debbie is a pretty good fisherman but just doesn't have the casting skills I have from fishing as much as I do, so I tried to let her have the big ones first but she kept throwing behind them and on top of them one time after another. Then a monster appeared to the left of my boat and I said, "Debbie, there's a huge Gar right there!" After giving her three shots at making a good cast for it, the Gar started to get a way so I tossed my rope right out in front of it, a perfect cast if I must say so myself, and the big Gar nailed it right off the bat and the fight was on! This Big Boy made one after another-huge line stripping runs with one headshake coming out of the water at the end of one of them. When I finally got it close to the boat it was much bigger than I had first thought, and the first thing Debbie that came from Debbie's mouth was, "You caught my gar! You didn't give me a chance to catch it!" And I said, "But Debbie, I gave you three shots at it and it was getting away!" She said, "I still could have caught it though!" I thought, Oh crap! I'm in the doghouse again! And over a Gar. A very big gar though. Well, I guess there's no better way to get in the doghouse than by catching a monster like this I thought!

I must say though that Debbie caught more Gar than I did. She even caught one that was 48" and about 14lbs. She also caught one with a deformed beak. It looked like maybe it got damaged when it was much younger and grew back kind of funny looking, sort of like a pair of scissors or something. I guess I earned my stay in the doghouse. Again, when I as she puts it, stole her Gar!

The rest of the week I'll be fishing mostly alone. But Debbie is taking one day off with me. I sure hope she catches a big one next trip because I don't thing I can survive another tongue lashing like that one again. I couldn't even get her to hand some of my tools to me so that I could get it released and she almost wouldn't take a picture for me! Man I hope she catches a big one!

























No comments: