Sunday, June 24, 2007

Unbeleivable!!! My Daughter Shelley Caught A Black Gar!!!


Selling Cars and Catching Gars!
Ask For Donnie Hinkle "West Point Lake Gar Grabber"


On May 24th 2007 I caught a solid black Longnose Gar and thought it was something special. I thought it would never see it happen again in my lifetime, but I was wrong. Today, June 24th 2007 my daughter Shelley who has never even gone Gar Fishing but one other time ever before caught an ultra rare melanistic Gar!!! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it! Not only did she catch this black Gar but I caught it on video too! I was so excited that I almost forgot to record it! These two videos may very well be the only footage captured of a Melanistic Longnose Gar actually being caught and just puts the icing on the cake for what has been a phenomenal year of Longnose Gar Fishing on West Point Lake for me, my family and friends!

Shelley and her boyfriend Jason are students at Georgia State University. It was a special treat to have them both with me today for a great day of Longnose Gar Fishing and it really turned out to be a special day for sure.

Jason started the show with a nice 8lb Gar, his first ever. Then Shelley caught her black Gar which was the highlight of the day. As the day grew hotter so did the Gar Fishing with Jason landing another Gar and then Shelley landing a nice FAT Longnose that weighed in at 15lbs-8ounces and measured 47 inches. Her first big Longnose ever. After that, with sun up high in the sky the sight fishing was getting really good. You could see what you were fishing for which makes it that much easier to catch that big one you're looking for. Suddenly Jason and I saw what turned out to be the biggest Gar of the day come cruising by and I tossed my rope out in front of it while we witnessed the big Gar attack the lure before our very eyes! Jason said that was pretty cool seeing how the Gar turns it's body sideways while launching itself at the rope lure. This big boy weighed 16lbs-8 ounces and 48 inches long. Both of the big Gar that Shelley and I caught very fat Gar and a ton of fun to catch!

As the day grew hotter and the jet skis and boats were starting to rock us around, it was time to head to the boat ramp. Gar Fishing on West Point Lake has never been better than it's been this year and I'm looking forward to having Shelley and Jason back in my boat before the season ends. Surely this lucky girl won't catch another extraordinary fish again! What a day!!!












































The last two pictures are actually videos shot from my digital camera. Enjoy!

No comments: