Thursday, June 24, 2004

West Point Lake Longnose Gar Fishing



Selling Cars and Catching Gars!
Ask For Donnie Hinkle "West Point Lake Gar Grabber"

I've discovered over the past year that a huge sportfishing opportunity has been overlooked on West Point Lake. Longnose Gar Fishing! That's right. That may seem odd to some fishermen, but don't knock it till you've tried it. After all, they pull like a race car, they jump like a Tarpon, they tailwalk across the water, and grow to be very big as well. What more could you ask from a sportfish? I believe the reason they are not pursued as often as Largemouth Bass or other sportfish is because of the fear factor involved in boating one of these hard fighting prehistoric creatures with a 8 to 10-inch beak full of needle sharp teeth. Lets face it, when you do accidentally catch a Gar you're never prepared to handle one. This is why I've set up this information site, to post my fishing success as well as educate fishermen who may enjoy learning about how to catch a Longnose Gar. Believe me. It's very exciting fishing. And you don't use hooks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blogger won't let me sign in Donnie.
Great gar pics. Glad you are sharing your talents with newcommers to garfishing. Yes, the enamel scales are very sharp. I make jewelry from alligator gar scales. We have some fishing hat pins available on the GASS site in the Merchandise Section. I also have a website:
www.ccss.us
Tell me what you think. Dianne~

Donnie Hinkle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi Donnie,I know of you from the GASS site,and enjoy your site and the great pics!! Love your enthusiasm and the excitement you generate for gar fishing!! You fit right in the mold of my good friends Terry Smith and Garmanjack!Up north here(I live near Pittsburgh,PA) we have a somewhat spotty longnose season due to weather,but they seem to be startin to come up now!! Keep up the good work and thanks foe the inspiration!! John McKean

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind words John. It pleases me to know you've enjoyed my post. I hope to be around a while. Let me know how the fishing is and please sent some pics. Donnie

Anonymous said...

HEY GUYS IS THERE ANY OTHER TYPES OF LURES TO USE FOR GAR BESIDE THE FRAID ROPE RIGS?

Donnie Hinkle said...

Thank you for your comment or question. See www.garfishing.com on the message board for my answer.